SPECIALISATION COURSE IN
SCIENTIFIC-TECHNICAL TRANSLATION ENGLISH LANGUAGE
(LEGAL, BUSINESS, MEDICAL-SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNICAL)
Due to the globalization, the national and international market needs increasingly targeted actions of linguistic mediation. Therefore, the translation sector is continuously growing and requires professional profiles possessing even more specialised skills, in order to fit the translation market properly.
The Specialisation Course in “Scientific-technical translation English Language” is an educational and vocational path towards the training of experts in scientific-technical translation, whose knowledge could meet the growing demand for specialisation in the current labour market. The study plan especially points to four fields: legal, business, medical-sceitnific and technical.
The target participants of the Course are graduateswith Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, Five years’ Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification in a foreign University, and professionals with knowledge of English language who wish to specialise or strengthen their skills in scientific-technical translation.
- PARTICIPANTS’ N.: 20
- COURSE’S DURATION: 950 hours
- PRICE: € 10.000,00
- REGISTRATION DEADLINE: within 29th May 2019
- START: 31st May 2019
The training methodology consists of taught classesclosely integrated with the application and practical dimension of individual and grouptranslation activities, debates and reviewing of translation exercises. The educational path allows the participants to learn specific skills related to several specialised fields of translation, and to combine them with the learning of methodologies and a multi-purpose and cross know-how. Therefore, the Course wants to guarantee the participants to learn knowledge, techniques and specialised glossaries which are instantly exploitable in professional contexts. During the Course, the teachers organise a test at the end of each teaching module, in order to assess the participants’ learning level. They also organise a final test.
ORGANISATION OF TEACHING
Lectures: 450 hours
Internship: 350 hours
Project work and final test: 150 hours
The access to the Course is subject to a selection step consisting of a test and an interview to assess the motivational and professional profile and the personal attitudes.
The educational path consists of the following learning modules:
Module 1: Introduction to Translation (10 hours)
- Approach to scientific-technical translation
- the profession of technical translator
- Practical aspects: rates, agencies, associations. Legal, contractual and tax aspects
Module 2: CAT Tools (40 hours)
- The principles of Computer Assisted Translation (CAT): TM and MT, TU (Translation Units)
- The most common Computer Aided Translation Softwares (OmegaT, WordFast, Trados, MemoQ, etc.)
- Translation Memories, file formats, building up of external and internal glossaries, Fuzzy matches, simultaneous drafting of projects with several files
- Translation laboratory by the simulation in classroom of a CAT Tool-supported translation procedure
- UNICODE Support (UTF-8) for languages with non-Latin writing systems (Chinese, Japanese, etc..), rsegmentation rules for each working language
- Localisation: from theory to practice (CAT Tools for translation of texts and HTML websites)
- Practical laboratory of localisation and translation of different website typologies
Module 3: The legal translation (120 hours)
- The legal language
- The interlingual transposition: untranslatability issues on case studies
- The profession of sworn translator: practical and legal aspects
- Translation exercices – applications of CAT on the different types of texts: contracts, prosecutions, corporate documents, international certificates, notarial acts, sworn translations
Module 4: The commercial translation (120 hours)
- The stakeholders of international trade
- The negotiation types of the enterprise
- Translation exercices – CAT applications on the different types of text: business documents, transport documents, insurance documents, vehicle or travel documents, documents of origin, hygiene documents, documents of quality, documents of compliance
Module 5: The medical-scientific translation (100 hours)
- The Medical English: an international language
- The language of Research for “specialists or experts”
- Translation exercices – CAT applications on the different types of text: abstractsfor conferences, articles and publications on international medical journals, medical reports
Module 6: The technical translation (60 hours)
- The multilingual document management in corporates
- Techniques and tools for the records – Techniques and tools for terminology research – Techniques and tools for terminographic records
- Translation exercices – CAT applications on the different types of text: use and maintenance manuals, operational guides, technical data sheets, installation instructions, technical specifications, safety requirements
- Assisted and automatic translation
- The automatic translation (MT) and post-editing
- Post-editing exercices on translations drafts by MT (Machine Translation)
Module 7: Internshipof 350 hours consisting of a full immersion in the translator professional activity in order to apply “on the job” what was learned during the taught classes and translation laboratories. Every internship is organised according to each single participant’s needs and aptidudes, in order to give value to their professional vocations and skills emerged during the educational path.
Module 8: Project Work and Final Test – duration: 150 hours consisting of a technical-scientific translation project about a topic chosen by each participant, which is related to the Course. The project will be discusssed in the Final Test.
Tour of the European Community Institutions– Bruxelles (Belgium)
The minimum attendance level is 80% of the total amount of the Course hours and it’s compulsory for all the training activities, including the internship.
TEACHING STAFF AND TUTORS
The teaching and tutor staff come from high-profile Academic Lecturers, Experts and Professionals with solid experience in the technical-scientific translation field.
TECHNICAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE
Technical Scientific Committee consists of three qualified Teachers, who are experts in translation and language mediation fields.
PARTNERS AND INTERNSHIPS
- ALFABETA SRL, Translation agency – Rome, Viale Trastevere, 94
- GEOHOUSE, Consular Visas – Bari, Via Scipione Crisanzio, 6
- KOSMOS SRL, Translation agency – Reggio Emilia, Via Guido da Castello, 29
- STUDIO LINGUE 2000, Translation specialised center – Molfetta (BA), Via Monteverdi, 5
The Specialisation Course in “Scientific-technical translation English Language” aims to train highly specialised professional profiles who are able to work as:
- Translator for law firms, notary firms, courts and public prosecutor’s offices
- Translator for international corporates and in the import-export field
- Translator for medical research and healthcare industry
- Technical translator for enterprises and professional firms
- Translator for associations and international organisation
- Project manager in translation agencies
The SSML Nelson Mandela acts as a reference point for the participants even after the end of the educational path, by ensuring them the Placement service, in order to keep the Course learning experience going on and foster its expendability with a view on professional placement/relocation of participants. The Placement service leans on the SSML Nelson Mandela relationships network with several economic and business regional and national companies, which have been selected on the basis of their reliability. The Students’ Office always checks job vacancies fittting the professional profiles of technical-scientific translator in both the partner enterprises and external companies, even during the educational path. The interesting job vacancies are disseminated through the Course participants, in order to orient them to those vacancies fitting one’s own profile. The partnership connections with enterprises and the awareness of the participants’ skills and potentialities will allow us to match companies needs and professional profiles properly.
- Learning kit
The participants who attended at least 80% of the Course lessons will be awarded a Specialisation Course’s Diplomain “Scientific-technical translation English Language”, a C1 Cambridge and/or LCCI Certificate, after passing the exam and an EIPASS certification, after passing the exam.
Scuola Superiore per Mediatori Linguistici Nelson Mandela has been established by the Ministry of Education, University and Research with Decree n. 1928 of 07/08/2015, O.J. of 20/08/2015.
For further information and support for administrative and educational issues about the Course’s development you can address the SSML Nelson Mandela Students Office by calling to +39 0835 334809 or +39 3311502477 or sending an e-mail to: email@example.com or reaching the institute in Via Pasquale Vena 66/C, Matera – from Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 1 PM and from 4 PM to 7 PM.
Specialisation Course’s Director:
Goffredo Michele – Professor of English Language and Literature at University of Basilicata;
Coordinators of scientific-educational Direction:
Mrs. Morrone Claudia – Interpreter and Translator English language
Mrs. Azzone Irene – Education Manager at SSML